Saturday 17 September 2016

IF your life was a movie

The lives of  a minor character of any move have remarkable consistency generally. It's intentionally done, so as to keep the focus on the main character itself. I think I'd be a side character in my own movie.

The hero has some verve, drive and at the very least, interesting things keep n happening to him. My picture is either some drab art movie where the entire plot is meant to confuse the critics into submission or it's still the opening scene of some hero movie, but the darkness before it starts hasn't lifted yet, so everything is a kind of a prelude.

I only hope, I don't star in some geriatric movie. I don't have any qualms with the oldies, just that the idea of starring in my only movie makes me choose a romcom rather than a cynical end of life film. I've not yet seen a heroine, or a villain or even a grand story. It may be a petite french film, that show without subtitles and are really just monologues, and turn out to be a dream within a dream in the end, with a twist.

This lack of a plot is the writers fault. What should you do in such a movie where the director and the script writer have proved to be absolutely worthless ? One should take charge and tackle the story in whatever manner one feels fit. This way, atlas it wouldn't be a confounding ending.

the ironical thing about philosophy is that it's really overthinking, does formally. Even if I were to succeed, I would only reduce everything to absurdity. That's why you don't have nice little moral of the story in most of the philosophical tales, you take a teaching according to your own level of understanding.

A Panchtantra tale I remember is pertinent to the point. 6 men go up to a holy man and ask him for some sort of a boon. He gives them 6 feathers and tells them to climb a tall mountain, with an instruction to dig wherever their feathers fell.

When the first feather falls, they dig to find bags of wheat and barley. "let's go home. This is more than enough for weeks altogether. The mountain is endless and who knows what troubles lie ahead" But the others disregard him. Eventually he goes back.

Similarly, the second feather falls and they find a roomful of copper coins. The same routine takes place again and again, till finally the 5th feather falls and there are only two men left. It's a room full of diamonds and rubies that they had discovered. "Brother you can't possibly find a richer haul, lets' go back. It's a straight slope ahead and impossible to climb."

 The last man disagrees, " I want to see what destiny has in store for me" He says bravely.

The path is very treacherous and with severe difficulty he reaches the top to see an empty throne. Just as he sits there, a shining crown descends upon him. Soon a blinding pain engulfs him. "What is it" he says between his cries.

"Thank god you came, I had been waiting for centuries for someone to come up and take my place". Saying this, this other man leaves and the 6th man suffers for many centuries to come.

THE END

I never could understand what the tale meant. It could be a cautionary tale about not going too far in the quest of your goal. But how far is too far? And who's to say?

Or it could be telling us that to be happy is to be satisfied with what we have. A person who is forever unsatisfied, can't be happy even if he reaches the top.

I'd like to re-write this tale, but let me re-write my life first.







No comments:

Post a Comment